Friday, March 27, 2009

Really Memphis?

Over the last few years I have taken a lot of pride in my bracket. So as I watched my bracket go up in smoke last night when Memphis (who I picked to go to the national title game) was pimp-slapped by Missouri, I found myself regretting my faith in the Conference USA champs.

The reason I picked Memphis to go so far this year is because all season they've played amazing defense with arguably the most athletic team in the nation. But last night, Memphis showed neither quality for three quarters.

Missouri simply beat Memphis at their own game by coming out of the gates fast and punching John Calipari's team in the mouth. Mizzou's defense kept the other Tigers down long enough to take a 39-33 lead into the last media timeout of the half. At this point, I was still feeling pretty good about my pick because Memphis has usually closed at halves pretty well-not this time.

Mizzou won the game in the last four minutes of the first half. They finished the half on a 27-7 run including an incredible 65 footer from freshman Marcus Denmen as time expired. As the second half began ,they pulled away increasing their lead to 64-40 with 16 minutes left in the game. Even when Memphis cut the lead to 89-83 with two minutes, a comeback never really seemed viable. That's when you know you been completely dominated.

All I can say is congrats Missouri on destroying Memphis... and my bracket.

No comments:

Post a Comment